Friday 23 March 2018

Workflow

 I learnt about workflow on my photography course. It's a way of  becoming more competent at using a technique so that the end result is predictable in form and quality, and is just what I did with dyeing threads and fabric.  Now this may sound the opposite of being creative -- not so. In fact it wasn't until I watched a Youtube film on paper-making that the penny dropped, and I could see the care and precision needed to ensure I didn't keep making the same errors and experiencing the same disappointments.

Normally I like some verbal explanation, but this film silently and repetitively demonstrated the processes involved in making a sheet of paper.  First place the frame on the deckle, stir the paper pulp in the water tank, scoop them, shake side to side, back and forth, drain, carefully remove the frame then allow the deckle, with its nascent sheet attache, to drain.  Meanwhile the newspaper is readied, the cloths made wet before the deckle is tipped over.  Sponge the back of the deckle, remove it and the paper is released onto the wet cloth.  A second wet cloth is placed on top, followed by more newspaper.  The process is then repeated.  I can do it in my head and this together with the press has led to more consistency, a consistency that allows me to experiment with embedding, embossing and many other ideas.  There is something almost meditative about the process -- workflow.

4:4:19

No comments:

Post a Comment