Tuesday 12 October 2021

Ever Deeper Rabbit Holes

 Every time I went out to my field I kept seeing its textures in terms of weaving.  Why not test out the idea?  And so I sent for a little loom and put my thinking to the test.  I'm very fortunate to belong to a textile group which is run by a weaver and she has acted as mentor whilst I grappled with techniques and a vocabulary new to me.  It's been a very exhilarating experience.

Below are a number of experiments:




Over the course of making these pieces my skills have improved greatly, culminating in the piece below which is 5cm wide and 25cm long.  Unlike the pieces above I decided not to weave in all the ends feeling they gave a sense of wild growth just as I'd noticed at the height of summer.

All the pieces were inspired by markings on the ground and the play of sunshine and shadows.




No comments:

Post a Comment