Saturday 4 July 2020

Combining Hand and Machine Stitching 2

For this final piece of drawn thread work I mixed some newly bought dye and as a result the colour blue is stronger, though many of the blue threads I used are from a previous batch.

I used a number of bought variegrated threads for the machine stitching and these have produced some nice effects especially on the corners of this piece.  I did find swapping between ordinary weight thread and the thicker silk thread caused tension issues.  Even after reading my 630 Bernina Artista manual and watching various YouTube videos on adjusting tension I still haven't got it just right. I have checked that the machine is threaded correctly each time -- with the presser foot up, of course.  I also have a bobbin case that is for adjusting only.  I think I simply need to keep persevering!


4:6:23

I really enjoyed hand stitching this piece gradually feeling my way with the balance of thread tones and weights.  I even discovered some fine plastic tubing bought from the Handweavers' Market ages ago -- getting these light shades right took some experimentation.  Possibly there is room for more stitching and I may in fact tweak it a little bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment