Tuesday 24 April 2012


The image shows a selection of twelve monoprinted papers, again white cartridge paper.  I attempted to use white tissue having been so pleased with the ink and bleach effects, however this time the effects were disastrous.  Papers 1-5 were made with acrylic paint rollered onto a glass sheet (something I still need to work on before the paint surface is as I would like - it's getting the amount of paint right at the beginning and ensuring the surface is even) and then drawn on using card, rubber and an old pen. Papers  9 and 10 were made by placing the paper on a n acrylic layer and than drawing on the back with a pencil.  Papers 11 and 12 were scraped directly on to the acrylic layer with wide stiff card markers to try and imitate the prehistoric markings round the mackerel eye. The background painty texture increased the complexity of the surface in an interesting way.  Finally for papers 8 and 9 I returned to printing, using up left over paint and  bubble pack and torn polystyrene strips.

Monoprinting is an interesting  method of producing decorated papers, much more spontaneous than with ink and bleach where I felt I had a little more time to develop the designs, and as a result find them preferable.




Now I see the papers together I'm surprised by the tonal range.  Comparing it with the broccoli greyscale above, created in my photography class, many of the tones are there and it would be an interesting exercise to make a  greyscale with the whole range of papers I've produced.

No comments:

Post a Comment