Paper Samples 1 and 2, very simple ideas -- cutting at an angle, cutting straight. I found I did quite a lot of playing with angles to get the right effect. With the fabric samples I was always wishing I had a longer run of strips. The moral of this is, and I say it particularly about the embroidered ones, always make more than you think you need. But then you can't easily tell what and how much you'll need.
The second paper sample again makes use of bleached black tissue and printed cartridge paper., creating that Japanese feel.
Fabric sample 1 adjusted the first paper sample by making the two diamonds of the same fabric. It remains an uncut border.
Fabric Sample 2 -- the choice of fabrics here produces an interesting effect. The dyed mottled fabric makes explosive windows in the spotted fabric. Such a pity that the images don't show the subtle blue-grey of the dyed fabric.
Paper Sample 3 -- bleached tissue and black created an Art Deco feel.
Fabric Sample 3 -- reversing alternate chevrons (though sadly not enough strips) and using dyed fabric and scribbly embroidered strip. (Please ignore the numbers on the samples.)
Fabric Sample 4 -- dyed and embroidered strips together with a bought fabric. I found an old book on my shelf "The Seminole Patchwork Book" by Cheryl Greider Bradkin which has a good sixty patterns, This is my interpretation of one of them. I like the impression of waves, again the interplay of the two spotted fabrics, enhanced by the random quality of the embroidered one.
Fabric Sample 5 -- again a working of arrows. I'm less pleased with the fabric choices, an attempt to use paler tones, but it simply seems insipid.
Paper Sample 4 -- below a simple zig zag, above three strips making a zig zag. I prefer the more complex sample which has an open book-like quality to it, complete with spines, and is interpreted in Fabric Sample 6 below.
Paper Sample 5 -- a multi zig zag design using different width of strips.