Monday 9 April 2012

Musings

Have you ever asked yourself why you don't do the blindingly obvious? In this instance I'm talking about using my reference books.  My defense for not having done this is clear: I don't want to be overly influenced by examples of other people's work.  I want to use the module's explanations, ideas and samples and then engender something I can call my own.  Of course this is perfectly ridiculous; the reason for choosing "echoes" as my blog name is a recognition that anything I may do has its roots elsewhere -- nature, an exhibition, even someone else's blog.  So, I'm getting down to a little serious reading, notebook and post-its to hand in the hope that I too can use the pearls gathered over a lifetime by the likes of Valerie Campbell-Harding, to say nothing of those that arrive in my student feedback from Sian.

Whilst I'm on the subject of resources I've also been reminding myself of the contents of my cupboard: machine feet, needles, threads, fabric, paints -- I could go on.  I learned to appreciate those tidying days from the Summer Drawing Project -- yet another pearl I'm making my own.

1 comment:

  1. Just realised after summer school who this blog belongs to! Been following for some time and I agree with your 'musings' sentiments.

    ReplyDelete