Monday 27 May 2013

Homing In

The photographs below show the next design phase, both construction and decorative elements.


1.  Three versions of Fin Inserts showing different decorative stitching.

2.  Preferred Fin Insert (view 1).

3.  Preferred Fin Insert (view 2).
 The preferred Fin Insert is a fourth version of the fin.  On this version the stitching is a double zigzag set on the longest length.  The top tension is loose so that the white top thread pulls through the dark petrol blue thread on the lower bobbin.  On the outside the stitch is a clear irregular scribble.  While using the same stitch (and in the same direction) on all the fins I wanted to make the Insert Fins darker.

4.  Collar Construction showing Main and Insert Fins.

Image 4 shows the Main Fins cut 5" wide, wider than previously.  Their edges are double zigzagged in petrol blue and then stitched part way round the tube-shaped Insert Fin creating a rippling embroidered additional edge.  The tube shape is created by inserting a short roll of stitch-and-tear stitched invisibly in place.  Further stitching is applied to the Main Fins on soft grey, petrol and thicker white thread. Each line of machine embroidery is overstitch and close cut.
This construction curves well round the cardigan neck.  The tuck made on each Main Fin makes it easy to make small adjustments so that the Insert Fins match on each side and are positioned on the shoulder.  The two collar sections are finished with two bias cut strips of silk organza.
Whilst the collar pleases my eye and I'm particularly pleased with the way the Insert Fins are constructed the embroidery on the Main Fins may still need a richer treatment.


3 comments:

  1. Your commitment and experimentation is just mind blowing. I find it exhausting in deciding what to go with in my resolved samples - think part of this course is the story of the rejects! Am thinking that when I get to the end I will do a posting 'Afterword'which will include all the things not put in!! Enjoy the road you chose to take...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's kind of you to say, but not at all how I feel. The whole process of doing resolved samples seems to expose what I don't know, rather than allow me to show what I know and can do -- a sort of Russian doll effect in reverse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your idea of the fins and I'm really looking forward to seeing how this develops.

    ReplyDelete