Friday 30 March 2018

Ideas Running Ahead of Skills

Looking at Pinterest, as I'm sure we all do, I've been very taken with the idea of writing with paper pulp.  I'd assumed that I would be able to make my paper pulp, coloured or otherwise, fairly fine and by limiting the amount of water in the mix would put it in a turkey baster or plastic bottle with a nozzle which would enable me to pipe with it as I might on a birthday cake. I envisaged trying out some of the exercises tried in Chapter 2. As I described in my previous post the water separated from the pulp and trying to squeeze it through a nozzle resulted in the pulp blocking the baster and bottle nozzle.

I haven't been able to resolve this problem by Goggling it; no imaged of what I wanted to try were accompanied by any explanation or instructions.  However, I emailed Jean Hart who had taken me through my first steps in paper making.  Although she has not tried to do this herself she suggested using cotton linters instead of recycled paper and adding PVA to this.  I plan on trying her ideas out but would welcome any other advice.

My other lovely idea was to try making paper lace.  I stretch the fine knitted grid over a frame and dipped it in the pulp in the same way I would make a sheet of paper.  It wasn't possible to release the paper pulp from the grid, but I allowed it to dry on the net and tried easing it off.  No easy matter, and Sample 4:4:26 shows the fragments I managed to make.  Again a question: is this possible?  If so advice please about how to achieve a more successful result.


4:4:25
4:4:26

No comments:

Post a Comment