Saturday 22 August 2020

Chapter 8 : Stitchery into Paper

 I'm almost spoilt for choice, but have decided to start stitching on the two wire frame samples.  

First what looks like a cratered moon surface, pock-marked and with random holes scattered over the surface but with a concentrated area in the bottom left.  I used the space dyed linen thread drawn from another piece and looped it over the surface.  The thread is really too fine to make much impact and when taken from the frame the piece is very fragile, particularly where the stitching is concentrated making me think that a thicker thread though more visible would probably be impractical.

4:8:1

4:8:2

In another session and with much smaller frames (5 x 7 cm) I dipped netting in pulp.  The frames took such an age to dry, weather conditions I think, that they have begun to rust.  Another attractive addition?These samples don't quite have the variety of surface in spite of using the same plastic netting.

Why such small samples you might ask.  Well, I had a notion that I might join a number of them together in rows and columns to make a bigger piece.


4:8:3

4:8:4


And now off the frame and looped with paper tape on the left and abaca yarn on the right.  Except along the edges these pieces are surprisingly resilient.


Altogether stronger is the wrapped and knotted string sample.  Again I stitched this on the frame.  By way of preparation, a sort of warm-up exercise, I went back to my source material and first with charcoal made marks imitating aspects of letters.  I then cut short lengths of thickish yarn to mimic components of the printed letters in 4:2:19.  I sprinkled the yarn along the two left to right horizontals.  This was an attempt to break away from too literally copying the source material and also getting away from being too neat and careful with my stitching.  I photographed the results and with that image on the computer screen used it as a stitching guide.  It strikes me that stitching into paper pulp is a one attempt only affair.                                                                                


  
4:8:5

4:8:6


4:8:7



4:8:8

Again, a smaller unstitched version of the same technique and taken off the frame.  I'm surprised with the string samples just how fixed the shape becomes with so little paper pulp.


Then finally below are two further paper pulp experiments.  The first  is linen selvedge wrapped round the larger frame. Not much paper pulp adheres to the linen, but the fabric is stiffened by it.  The second, is my favourite,  a more successful version of 4:8:5.  I won't cut it off the frame but will try to ease it off in tact.  I have an idea that I can slide it over the front of a board book cover which has been printed and embroidered.  This string version will add another layer to the book cover and complete the design.  The knots look really good and they definitely have room to breathe.


4:8:9


4:8:10


No comments:

Post a Comment